Off Campus Access
Databases & Journal Indexes
Database Trial: Nursing & Allied Health Source (training videos, journals, dissertations, and references)
Databases which are useful for nursing and health sciences topics include:
- CINAHL Plus with Full-Text (nursing and human health articles, mostly scholarly)
- MEDLINE (all aspects of medicine, health science, and biosciences, mostly scholarly)
- Cochrane Library (evidence-based medicine resources)
- PsycINFO (all aspects of psychology and psychiatry, mostly scholarly)
- Access Science (definitions, short articles, and factual information about medical and general science topics)
- Annual Reviews (Scholarly, research articles in the health sciences and biology)
- BIOSIS (comprehensive index of peer-reviewed articles in biology, biomed, and related areas
- CAB Direct - (scholarly research articles in human health and biosciences)
- CQ Researcher (information on federal healthcare and health-related legislation before Congress)
- Emerald Journals (informatics and healthcare management articles, all scholarly)
- JSTOR (historical information in nursing and health sciences, all scholarly)
- ScienceDirect (general science, including public health and biological research, all scholarly)
- Global Health (public database with more than 1.4 million records)
- SpringerLink (biology, engineering, medicine, & social sciences)
- Wiley Interscience (engineering, medicine, & social sciences)
- Health & Wellness Resource Center (medical information for students and health professionals)
- Health Source (nursing/academic edition)
- Net Anatomy (human anatomy for students in health professions)
Many of our databases include the full text of the articles indexed.
If they don't, you'll usually see a link that says "Find the Article", "Search for Article", or "Link to Article". These links search our Journal Name List to see if we have the article in our journal collection, and link you to the article.
If we don't have the article, the link directs you to our interlibrary loan service.
Scientific & Medical Literature
Several types of articles can be found in the scientific and medical literature. Many databases allow you to limit your search to one of these types.
- Review articles - These articles present what is known to date about a disease. Such articles may focus on the cause, diagnosis, treatment, or other aspects of a disease.
- Basic science or laboratory research - These articles present original "basic" research or "laboratory" research.
- Case reports (also called case studies) - These articles describe and discuss the clinical aspects of an individual with a disease. Such articles may also present unuusal or unexpected cases.
- Articles discussing treatment - These articles discuss the effects in humans of various treatments that have been tested or used in a specific disease. Articles that discuss treatment may be about many different types of studies that are conducted in humans. Some of the more common studies include clinical trials, case-control studies, cohort studies, and case reports.